Shane Ginnane wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:32:20 +0000, Pommier, Rex wrote:

According to this IBM web site, the IFL runs at full speed.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/linux/solutions/ifl.html

"Full functionality of a System z processor and operating on full capacity"

FSVO "full capacity".
You don't get the "real" (i.e. UP) full cpacity, but the equivalent "full
capacity" of the MP level of your base CEC.
So if you upgrade (within the model range) to more CP engines, not only do
(each of) your CPs get smaller, so do your IFLs.
<snip>

This was so surprising a statement to me that I had to poke at it because I had never heard of a CEC-level MP effect.

I am reliably told that there are in fact *two* MP effect curves. There is indeed a machine-level curve that reduces the capacity of the overall machine when an engine is added (or activated) to a CEC. I have not seen the numbers but I'm told this particular MP effect, which has to do with things related to shared hardware infrastructure within the machine, while nonzero, is relatively small in the grand scheme of things.

Then there's the single-LPAR, i.e., single-operating system MP effect. This MP effect is far more pronounced than the one above, and it's the one I had always heard people talk about (up until today, that is).

You learn something new every day...

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing