I'm curious.

Some of the posters have indicated that their products avoid requesting
zIIP services if there are no zIIPs.

If any care to share, is that a decision made at the time they start? Is
that decision revisited? When the decision is made, by what fields is it
made?
- number of currently online zIIPs > 0 (CSD_Number_Online_zIIPs, a
programming interface)
- is a zIIP currently installed (SVT_ByLPAR_zIIP_NowInstalled, a
programming interface, within SVT_zIIPzAAP_Flags)
- is a zIIP currently installed or could be installed later by dynamic CPU
addition (SVT_ByLPAR_zIIPInConfiguration, not a programming interface but
could be made one)
- a reason code from IWM4EOCT (to get that you'd have had to go at least
somewhat down the enclave path already)

In the general case, even if there are currently no installed (or online)
zIIPs there could be later.

We do intend to make SVT_CpuProjection a programming interface (and its
containing byte when used with that bit name only). The update to the data
areas book and to the SVT mapping macro to confirm that likely will not be
made in service. But in practice I suggest that that not inhibit you from
checking that bit in all supported releasesif it would benefit you to do
so.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design