On 6/11/2013 11:31 AM, Shane Ginnane wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:18:39 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

On 6/11/2013 5:40 AM, Mark Post wrote:
Now if you want to point a finger at some things in Linux that really, really
could use improvement, let's talk about diagnostic instrumentation in the
operating system, as well as much better data for performance management.  The
latter particularly is pretty much a joke.  If I were competent to hack on the
kernel, that's  what I would like to see improved.
Wouldn't it be nice if Linux had something like the z/OS system trace.
What like ftrace ?.
.. 0r perf, or LTTng, or Systemtap, or a bunch of others ... ?

The functionality is there, although your favourite vendor may not have
included the appropriate kernel options. I note RHEL 6.4 for z is missing the
function tracing option for ftrace. Very unfortunate.
ftrace is lightweight and easy enough to dynamically activate.

I know you can trace syscalls etc but do any of those traces compare to "system trace"? Are there any traces for zLinux which report hardware/software interrupts?

Shane ...