I do not think that will be much better.

For example. If I am using HSM in my shop and do an HBACKDS command, it will
change the Last Backup Date even though the data in the file was not
altered.  This may also be true for DFDSS dumps and possibly other "backup"
functions

You may also have challenges if the VSAM files is handled under RLS (Record
Level Sharing).

Lizette