We all know about system determined blksize and there have been rules of thumb
for decades about the correct/optimal blksize to use for each type of PDS.

My question is what is the optimal blksize for a PDS based on the member sizes?

Having a large a blksize with many small members results in many blocks with
wasted space. Having a small blksize with many large members results in
unnecessary I/O to read all the blocks of data.

The various tools available to provide a best estimate at optimal blksize (e.g.
trkcalc, blkdisk, blk3390) and even SDB all provide a best estimate without
having any awareness of the planned, or existing, contents of the PDS.

Which is better - a BLKSIZE of 3120 with 100 members ranging from 3 to 30
records or that same set of records in a PDS with BLKSIZE of 27920. And
similarly what about a PDS with BLKSIZE of 3120 and 100 members ranging from
300 to 9000 records compared to the same set of records in a PDS with a BLKSIZE
of 27920.

I imagine this will be an interesting discussion.

Lionel B. Dyck <><
BMC Software
Product Development Architect, Common Install and Services
10431 Morado Circle, Building 5, Austin, Texas 78759
Office Phone: 512-340-6031 (extension x26031)
Cell Phone: 512-739-3274
E-Mail:  lionel_d...@bmc.com
"Worry more about your character than your reputation.  Character is what you
are, reputation merely what others think you are." - John Wooden