On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:41:39 -0600, Dyck, Lionel wrote:

>Having a large a blksize with many small members results in many blocks with
>wasted space. Having a small blksize with many large members results in
>unnecessary I/O to read all the blocks of data.

I don't believe the usual access methods will ever write blocks containing
unused space (perhaps null segments with RECFM=VBS?)  But since track
balancing is not routinely performed except by Binder, there's likely to be
an average of BLKSIZE/2 unused space at the end of each track.

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 15:30:37 -0500, Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

>In practice I've found the optimal block size to be close to half track,
>with one exception (either 3K or 7K record size?), where five block per
>track actually gave better usage.

I believe from the 3390 Ref and some trial and error that it's about 7K,
with 7 blocks per track.  And SDB actually selects that number.

-- gil