On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 10:55:34 -0800, Jon Perryman wrote:

>The JCL manual under RECFM says spanned: ��VS indicates that the records are
>variable length and spanned. VBS indicates that the records are variable
>length, blocked, and spanned, and that the problem program must block and
>segment the records.

Yes, however FBS stands for Fixed Block Standard, not Spanned.

    Title: z/OS V1R13 DFSMS Using Data Sets
    Document Number: SC26-7410-11

     3.1.2.1 Standard Format

    During creation of a sequential data set (to be processed by BSAM or QSAM)
    with fixed-length records, the RECFM subparameter of the DCB macro can
    specify a standard format (RECFM=FS or FBS). ...

(Also in the Glossary.)

>It's not a problem to create a program that creates short physical records
>(using TRUNC macro). You can obtain track size and monitor your buffer usage
>to fill in the unused portion of the track if desired. I suspect this is what
>the binder does.�

    Title: z/OS V1R13.0 DFSMSdfp Advanced Services
    Document Number: SC26-7400-14

 7.5.3.1 TRKCALC--Standard Form
    TRKBAL
        ..., TRKBAL calculates whether an additional record
        fits on the track and what the new track balance would be if the record
were added.
    MAXSIZE=YES or NO
    YES
        If the specified record does not fit, the largest length of a record
with the
        specified key length that fits is returned (register 0).

-- gil