At 07:36 -0600 on 12/12/2013, Peter Fatzinger wrote about Re: VARY OFFLINE fat finger:

There have been requests for IBM to provide a confirmation prompt or a limit on the range, but they've always been rejected because, as several have indicated, an exit can be written to meet the installation's specific requirements. Given that alternative we haven't been able to justify the cost of implementing a solution within the BCP.
Peter Fatzinger
z/OS Core Components Development and Service

OK. A case can not be justified for altering the BCP to handle this need and the need can be handled, as you noted, by an exit. How about you (IBM) putting such an exit in SAMPLIB for the customer to alter and tailor? I know that there are such exits floated around on Mod Tapes and Sites but by having a SAMPLIB exit, you are alerting everyone of the ability and getting assistance to those who do not know to research these sources as well as servicing those who work for [censored] companies who have a policy against using such RYO methods but might allow use of an "official" IBM exit sample.