From:   Ed Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   12/14/2013 08:41 AM
Subject:        Re: SMP/E RECEIVE ORDER and Internet Delivery Questions
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On 12/14/2013 7:59 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 06:37:56 -0800, Ed Jaffe wrote:
>> Direct download to z/OS is the only way to fly! As a matter of
>> principle, I refuse to let z/OS products or service touch any other
>> platform or media.
>>
> An interesting contrast to reports of other enterprises which as a
> matter of principle refuse to let z/OS touch the Internet.

I find that astonishing! It's like tying one hand behind z/OS' back!

Internet connectivity is practically *required* to service other
operating systems. If our RHEL systems on any server (including System
z) don't connect to RedHat and signal the AOK, the red flags start
flying! And, if service is not regularly applied to those systems,
ominous warnings start accumulating...

Most "mainframers" agree that z/OS has an image problem - thought by
many to be an old, creaky operating system that simply can't compete
against newer alternatives. The paranoid "Luddites" that refuse to level
the playing field, by allowing z/OS to leverage modern service
deployment technologies used by those alternatives, aren't just hurting
themselves - they're hurting the platform as a whole...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc