Could someone point out the manual that states if a Steplib is present the
Joblib is ignored?

I found this in the following manual and it does not lead me to the conclusion
you have stated

LLA and Module Search Order

z/OS V1R12.0 MVS Initialization and Tuning Guide SA22-7591-08

When a program requests a module, the system searches for the requested module
in various system areas and libraries, in the following order:

    Modules that were loaded under the current task (LLEs)
    The job pack area (JPA)
    Tasklib, steplib, joblib, or any libraries that were indicated by a DCB
specified as an input parameter to the macro used to request the module (LINK,
LINKX, LOAD, ATTACH, ATTACHX, XCTL or XCTLX).
    Active link pack area (LPA), which contains the FLPA and MLPA
    Pageable link pack area (PLPA)
    SYS1.LINKLIB and libraries concatenated to it through the LNKLSTxx member
of parmlib. (Placing Modules in the System's Search Order for Programs explains
the performance improvements that can be achieved by moving modules from the
LNKLST concatenation to LPA.)

When searching TASKLIBs, STEPLIBs, JOBLIBs, a specified DCB, or the LNKLST
concatenation for a module, the system searches each data set directory for the
first directory entry that matches the name of the module. The directory is
located on DASD with the data set, and is updated whenever the module is
changed. The directory entry contains information about the module and where it
is located in storage.

Thanks

Lizette