Even better if the SMF records were uniformly described by some metadata
format (schema) that described the fields in the record.
Consider the IBM SMF record DSECTS -  one has to look at the field comments
to determine not only structure (e.g. triplets) but also whether some C
fields are really character or numeric, dates, times, etc, etc.

Much better would be if IBM published some sort of metadata / schema,
perhaps in XML, that had all of the information in the DSECT, but also
included structure, data types, etc.    Utilities could be used to convert
these into record / DSECTS in assembler or HLLs.     It wouldn't have to be
XML  so long as there were a defined grammer, standard data types, etc.

 If done properly so as to include comments for each field, this would also
cover 90% of the necessary "documentation" requirements.

Currently, the closest thing to SMF schemas are in MXG (SAS).

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com