There's an IEFUJV exit available on www.cbttape.org (sorry, I don't remember the file number), that performs symbolic substitution in batch jobs, including mathematical operations on date fields. An example is;

// SET LASTWEEK=&ZJDATE-7.
This Will Give You The Julian Date For One Week Ago From Today.

I use these symbolic substitutions in many of my batch jobs.

Mark Jacobs