On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:02:57 -0500, John Gilmore wrote:

>Charles
>
>I do not think you read my post at all carefully.
>
>I made it clear that for specific language pairs UTF-8 is adequate if
>often clumsy.
>
>For multiple-language environments it is equally clear that it is inadequate.
>
>It is of course true that any grapheme, even say some company's logo
>or an astrological house, can be represented in UTF-8.  The problem is
>not one of representability but of subset choice.  The decision to
>include one may preclude the inclusion of another.  Some subsets of at
>most 256 characters are adequate to some particular tasks and others
>are adequate to other particular tasks.  None is adequate to all such
>tasks.

Do you accept that:

o UTF-8 is a variable length encoding scheme?

o UTF-8 has representations for all the million plus Unicode characters?

o The UTF-8 representation of any character is invariant with respect
  to any choice of "specific language [pairs]"?

Given these premises (which I accept) it does not occur that '[t]he
decision to include one [grapheme] may preclude the inclusion of
another."  There is no "problem [...] of subset choice."

-- gil