On 12 January 2014 10:21, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:
> on 01/09/2014 at 09:00 PM, Tony Harminc <t...@harminc.net> said:
>
>>There is no general way to convert UNICODE into EBCDIC,
>
> There are EBCDIC transforms for Unicode. I'm not sure whether that qulifies
> as EBCDIC.

Exactly as much as UTF-8 qualifies as ASCII, that is to say, not at
all. In both cases (UTF-8 and UTF-EBCDIC), there are several
characteristics of the encoded result that are convenient in the
respective environments. In particular, for legacy applications, the
most often used characters in single-byte ASCII/EBCDIC are encoded by
the same byte value in UTF-xxx. But no one would say that UTF-8 *is*
ASCII, or that UTF-EBCDIC *is* EBCDIC.

Tony H.