On 2014-01-17 07:43, van der Grijn, Bart (B) wrote:

> z/OS in question is z/OS 1.12
> Should have clarified this in my original note, but I'm not trying to write
> to a 'unix' file, I'm trying to write to a MVS dataset allocated to a DDName.
> Using a dataset name in the pax command works fine, but I want to use a
> DDName so that I can code RELEASE or write to tape.

Even if what you're trying to do happens to succeed, it's
unsupported, and IBM will give you no assistance if it fails
in the future.

I've done similar things, using only supported (I believe)
facilities with a Rexx EXEC:
    say BPXWDYN( 'alloc dd(SYSUT2) dsn(...) ...attributes...' )
    say BPXWDYN( 'alloc dd(SYSUT1) filedata(BINARY) pathopts(ORDONLY)' ,
        'path(''/dev/fd/0'') [attributes compatible with SYSUT2]' )
    address ATTCHMVS 'IEBGENER'
and piping from pax to that EXEC.  It can also be done in a single
EXEC using SYSCALL 'pipe' and SYSCALL 'spawn' for pax and ATTCHMVS
for IEBGENER.

Of course, it's easier with Co:Z, but ISVs, for example, can't rely
on customers' having Co:Z.

-- gil