> I just wanted to sound people out about converting a dataspace  to a
common
> area above the bar. The main interest is the effect it would have on CPU
> usage.
>
> To put it into context, the dataspace is used for a set of tables which
are
> used by the application programs. There are around eight thousand tables
> currently occupying about a gigabyte of virtual storage. This is a large
> installation with excess of 700 million transactions per month plus a
heavy
> batch load. The application programs make extensive use of these tables.
>
> Whenever an application program needs an element of one of the tables it
> calls a standard assembler module which uses access register mode to
search
> the table in the dataspace and then returns the requested element to the
> application program.
>
> If the set of tables were placed above the bar then access register mode
> would not be needed as the tables would be directly addressable in 64
bit
> addressing mode.
>
> It all seems much simpler so, at first sight, it would be expected to
use
> less CPU. A reduction in CPU would be the main justification for doing
the
> conversion.

  As long as there is no ALB miss, the hardware performance for a data
space
storage access is no different than for non-data space.

  Converting from data space to memory object would save you
the instructions for setting ARs, and possibly AGIs if the setting
of an AR is too close to the use of the AR in address generation,
and possibly an ALB miss each time your routine is called.
Since the ALB miss may result in cache misses during ART, that
is probably the most significant effect.

 However, all of that is probably next to nothing compared
to the cache misses when you access the tables, and that will
not be affected by data space vs. memory object.

 HIS sampler data (available on z10 and newer machines)
is the best way to determine how much time you are spending
in this code.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY