On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:27:40 -0500, John Gilmore wrote:

>Tom Marchant wrote
>
><begin extract>
>There might be cases where an 8 character symbol name won't work.  For
>example, when a symbol represents a volume serial number used for
>indirect cataloging
></end extract>
>
>and here he seems to me to be confusing the length of a symbol's
>identifier with that of a symbol's value.

I don't think so.  When a static system symbol is used in indirect cataloging,
the symbol is stored in the place in the catalog where the volume serial number
would otherwise be stored.  Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought that there
is only room for a 6 byte value in that location.

>&CHARVAL8, for example, can have a value less than eight characters in
>length, even a nul value;

True

>and conversely the [dubious] symbol &s can
>have a value more than one character in length.

Yes, but static system symbol &S cannot have a value longer than two
characters in length.  Or more precisely, in the IEASYMxx parmlib member,
when specifying SYMDEF(&symbol='sub-text'), the length of sub-text
cannot exceed the length of the symbol, including the '&'.

--
Tom Marchant