From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ray Mullins
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 5:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Error overriding concatenated DD in PROC where one is instream data

Hello, long time absent.

In z/OS 1.13, I'm playing with instream data in a PROC for the first time to
try to simplify some bind JCL and I've run into an error. It's an atypical
situation, I realize.

In the PROC I have

//* Following is a data set created with ISRSCAN from a concatenation
//SYSLPARM DD DSN=&&tempds,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
//         DD *
some more binder parms overriding the first one
//*

Because one of the program objects needs different stuff, I've coded

//DRVASTRT EXEC MMB,symbolics
//B.SYSLPARM DD
// DD
// DD *
different parms to override a couple in the first two DDs
//*

The job hits this step and gives me

IEF344I MMDB B DRVASTRT SYSLPARM+001 - ALLOCATION FAILED DUE TO DATA FACILITY
SYSTEM ERROR IGD17045I SPACE NOT SPECIFIED FOR ALLOCATION OF DATA SET
SYS14037.T114830.RA000.MMDB.R0484370

It seems like conversion/interpretation has skipped the fact that I'm not
overriding the second DD in the concatenation and is generating a data set
name, instead of noting that it's a blank DD and just leaving the original DD
alone.

 From a logic standpoint, this makes sense, but I'm wondering if this is WAD
(thou shalt not override instream data) or maybe DD concatenation needs some
extra checks if the underlying DD is instream (or does not have a DSN). I am
curious as how this would be handled if the DD was a SUBSYS.

Yes, I could put the instream data in a PDS member, but for various reasons
that would complicate the underlying binder proc; let's just say we'd rather
not go there.

So, what's the consensus? WAD? APARable?

Cheers,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins
Roseville, CA, USA

German is essentially a form of assembly language consisting entirely of far
calls heavily accented with throaty guttural sounds. ---ilvi French is
essentially German with messed-up pronunciation and spelling.  --Robert B
Wilson English is essentially French converted to 7-bit ASCII.  ---Christophe
Pierret [for Alain LaBonté]