On 12 February 2014 14:21, Jim Mulder <d10j...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> When a length of 0 is requested on GETMAIN or STORAGE OBTAIN,
> VSM treats this as a successful request, and returns an address of 0.
> In my opinion, this was a poor design choice, made long before my time,
> and I have seen it lead to diagnosis confusion like this several times
> over the years. I would have preferred to abend when a length of 0
> is requested. But it has worked this way since at least MVS/370,
> and maybe even long before that, so for compatibility reasons,
> we do not change it.

I object far more to returning an address of 0 than to accepting a
length of 0 on the request. To be sure, you are allowed to store no
more than 0 bytes in your obtained area, so the 0 address sounds
reasonable, but some instructions are allowed by the architecture to
recognize access exceptions in the case where no data is stored, e.g.
STCM with a zero mask.

So to be consistent, a non-zero address with appropriate access setup
(primarily key) should probably be returned.

Now if you ask me how I would prioritize this requirement...

Tony H.