On 12 February 2014 18:22, Gerhard Postpischil <gerha...@charter.net> wrote:
> On 2/12/2014 6:06 PM, Tony Harminc wrote:
>>
>> I object far more to returning an address of 0 than to accepting a
>> length of 0 on the request. To be sure, you are allowed to store no
>> more than 0 bytes in your obtained area, so the 0 address sounds
>> reasonable, but some instructions are allowed by the architecture to
>> recognize access exceptions in the case where no data is stored, e.g.
>> STCM with a zero mask.

> The way I get and free storage, I'd be happier with an abend (R form) or
> non-zero return code.

Sure, but as said, that's not going to happen for reasons of compatibility.

> I generally save the length, and then do a FREEMAIN
> (or STORAGE RELEASE) using the saved length. If the GETMAIN/OBTAIN was
> accepted, freeing zero length is an instant disaster.

You can't free 0 bytes at address 0? Now that is an inconsistency. Ah
- the subpool thing on FREEMAIN. Is that also true for STORAGE
RELEASE?

>> So to be consistent, a non-zero address with appropriate access setup
>> (primarily key) should probably be returned.

> Consistent with what? It can't return an address because one wasn't assigned.

Sure - it could assign one. It wouldn't have to be unique; just
access-exception correct.

Tony H.