On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 07:39:24 -0500, John Gilmore wrote:

>Is this [SMF record] flags byte recording behavior?  Or is it
>recording [only] open option(s) specified?
>
>If the latter, should not opening for update set both the IN and the
>OUT bits?   How otherwise is the specification of update reflected in
>this byte?
>
>I think Massimo has an adequate basis for consulting IBM, and I should
>myself be interested in its explanation of this behavior.  There may
>be some simple rationale for what is being observed here, but the
>implementation of this byte appears to me to have been botched.

The mapping macro for the SMF record has the comment "ACBMACR1 MACR FIELD" on
the line for SMF62MC1.

The ACBMACR1 field is defined in the IFGACB macro, as are the bits within it.

The bits are set by the ACB macro, or by MODCB before OPEN. I've never heard of
any MACRF bits ever being changed during or after OPEN. I'd expect such
behavior to be extremely rare, if it exists.

I don't think there is any way to distinguish between output and update in this
byte or in the type 62 record, and it might not matter to the OP, who says he
wants to check for "Read or Update" intent. The bit for MACRF=OUT might be
enough to go by.

Bill