On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 07:40:39 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>I am by no means an expert but based on my mental model, the branch approach
>is going to be slower.

It depends on the likelihood of an expensive cache fault performing
an operation which has no effect.

I long chuckled at what I considered a pointless test in:

    If CURRENT is not zero, then add CURRENT to SUM,

thinking it a relic of instructions given to an apprentice bookkeeper
working with quill pen on parchment.  But modern hardware makes
Binyamin's  concern realistic.

-- gil