On 18/02/2014 6:49 AM, Ed Jaffe wrote:
I have to ask: Why they big concern over a few instructions?
Optimisation of a few is not worth the effort these days.

LOL. If Binyamin's question wasn't worth asking, then IBM would never have recently introduced the STOC instruction that John McKown so kindly reminded us about. (Wish we could use instructions like that in other than our JIT-compiled Java code...)
z/SQL from Rocket Software ships several different run-times all compiled with different ARCH() options which are loaded at runtime depending on the hardware. WAS does something similar but it's a manual selection. That's easy to do if your using a compiler, but a very big job if you cut your code in assembler.