>From a modern perspective the single-level store in FS would've meant at
least 128-bit addressing, perhaps 256, by now. And there'd be consequences
to that. :-)

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer,
zChampion, Principal Systems Investigator,
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker

From:   Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Date:   19/02/2014 17:52
Subject:        Re: assembler
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

t...@harminc.net (Tony Harminc) writes:
> In my circles the term "core" survived for quite a long time after the
> introduction of the first 370 models with non magnetic-core storage
> (the 158 and 168, followed closely by the lower end 138, 148 and so
> on). And amusingly the UNIX people still use "core" in some contexts,
> much as they use "print" in a way long dissociated from ink on paper.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014c.html#71 asssembler

folklore I was told was IBM's move to the term "virtual storage" was
because of patent on "virtual memory".

there was possibly ancillary reason ... supposedly tss/360 was move to
"single level store" .... programmer/application not seeing difference
between memory access and file accesss ...  all appeared the same.  in
the early 70s, the future system effort ... which was going to totally
replace 360/370 ... was heavily "single level store" and overlapped
os/360 movement to "virtual memory".

however, part of tss/360 was very poor optimization for accessing data on
disk in its "single level store". I took a lot of what I saw tss/360 did
wrong when I did my cms paged-mapped filesystem on cp67 at the
scientific center in the early 70s. The FS effort wasn't any better than
what tss/360 had been doing ... and one of the reasons I would
periodically ridicule FS (which probably wasn't the most career enhancing
activity). In any case, that was just one of the things that contributed
to the
failure of FS ... misc. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

I suspect that over the years a lot of the stuff I was doing internally
would ship in products ... the reputation that page-mapped filesystem
got from the tss/360 and Future System implementations contributed to
not shipping my cms paged mapped filesystem (although i could show
factor of three times throughput improvement for moderately filesystem
intensive applications).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#mmap

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.