From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 6:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: OCOPY fails to convert text

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 14:32:43 -0800, retired mainframer wrote:
>:>:
>:>: ISO 8859-1[1] is Latin 1, not ASCII.
>
>From the UNIX Systems Services Command Reference: " BPXFX311. Specifies an
>ASCII-EBCDIC conversion table to convert between code pages ISO8859-1 and
>IBM-1047."
>
>It doesn't matter what the official title of ISO 8859-1 is.  For getting
>OCOPY to perform the desired conversion, it only matters that IBM uses it to
>mean to ASCII.

Well, Shmuel, pedantically and characteristically, is insisting that "ASCII"
means precisely a 7-bit character set (even as USS does not mean UNIX
System Services).

But, is there a convenient alternative collective term designating those
8-bit character sets in which 'A' is 0x41; '0' is 0x30, etc.?  Perhaps Shmuel
can, in a more constructive mode, suggest one.  Does ISO Latin include
ISO8859-x (and some Windows-peculiar character sets) and exclude
IBM-1047?

attachments from your system.