On 3 March 2014 20:54, Farley, Peter x23353 <peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:

> GIYF.  I refer you to these Wikipedia references, the first of which makes it
> quite clear that iso-8859-1 is definitely NOT
> Windows, though it does call it "ASCII-based"; and the second of which is a
> nice reference for IBM-1047, from which
> you can see that there is a reasonable chance to convert between the two
> encodings, though not completely
> transparently, whatever IBM chooses to call the iso-8859-1 encoding.

More than a reasonable chance; since IBM-1047 and ISO-8859-1 encode
*exactly* the same set of displayable and control characters (what IBM
calls Character Set (CS) 697, and ISO calls (duh) Latin 1)),
converting without loss is trivial.

Windows, when it uses them at all, uses code pages that contain
displayable characters in places where 1047 et al have control
characters, so it is not in general possible to convert from e.g.
Western Windows 1252 to IBM-1047 without loss.

Tony H.