On 11 March 2014 08:48, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> My microwave oven and my clock radio don't support 24-hour.

Microwave ovens are an odd case, because some support 24-hour time,
but most don't. But more interestingly many of them support a curious
mixed-base notation. So I can set my coffee to heat for 1:30 minutes
or 90 seconds. In my case the display counts down following what I
entered, but I saw one once that instantly converted an entered number
of seconds exceeding 59 to the h:m:s base when I hit start.

> My bicycle computer is peculiar: it offers either km/24-hour or mi/12-hour,
> but not the other two quadrants.

It's probably based on UNIX/POSIX, which has the BAD notion of locale.
I've been trying to set Eclipse to use ISO 8601 dates and times, and
the closest I've got is to set the locale to sv_SE, which of course
breaks other things. This is one of those rare cases where Windows
gets it not just practically, but conceptually right. Though I notice
that in Windows 8 they seem to have removed some date format choices!

Tony H.