I do 3 LPARs much as you describe.
Currently, I don't believe IBM maintenance will target /var. There should be
HOLDDATA when /etc is targeted because you need to change the links before and
after.
I usually keep the /etc from release to release and update it if a change
requires it. It Is mostly tailoring.
Up until z/OS 1.13 (I skipped 1.12) I had /var as a TFS, but I learned of some
products expecting data there from ipl to ipl. It is now a ZFS file, but not
routinely copied when implementing SMP/E maintenance.