On 2014-03-17, at 08:44, Vernooij, CP (SPLXM) - KLM wrote:

> The big difference to notice is:
> You logon to a *nix system via Telnet or so.

The *nix argot is "login", not "logon".  I wonder if that
arises from the difference you note?

> You don't logon to a mainframe. You logon to an application on a mainframe.
> So, you don't logon *via* TSO, you logon *to* TSO.

I don't see the difference as so great.  On a *nix system, you
log[oi]n to an application (usually a shell) named in your entry
in /etc/passwd (or RACF).  This corresponds to TSO, or CICS, or ...

> Maybe this helps in terminology misunderstandings.

Hmmm.  And if I connect via ssh to a Unix System Services shell,
am I then logging on to the mainframe?  Is USS considered an
application?  Yes, the shell can be considered an application,
but then logging in to any *nix system involves an application.

What about z/VM?  is your virtual machine (often CMS) an
application?

-- gil