Dean,
  First, you'll get a better response if you send your question to the
listserv rather than the mirrored newsgroup. See the note at the
bottom of this email for instructions to do that.
  Second, this call can only return 0 or -1. Check that you're really
looking at RETCODE. Also, gethostbyname isn't going to send email, no
matter what the return code.

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
sas...@sas.com           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513