On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 17:06:05 -0500, TonyICLOUD wrote:

>In the "bad old days" this was called a Suicide Sort.  Sadly, it was
>often necessitated by lack of disk space, or horror of horrors, lack of
>scratch tapes.  I remember a time, with a spendthrift company, that I
>routinely re-initialized old version vendor installation tapes to use
>for output.  CA was a generous provider.

IBM, OTOH, had (has?) an EULA which asserted that IBM software is
licensed, not sold; the media remain the property of IBM, and on
termination of the contract must be returned to IBM.  Did customers
routinely do this?  Did IBM enforce this, and take legal recourse for
noncompliance?

E-Delivery?  Well, sure; when the license ends, we'll transmit it back
to them.

A sort of a small data set can be performed in main storage and
written back to the original medium (subject to physical failure).
As a sort of a large data set draws to a close the data are (should
be; perhaps) all in work data sets.  Recovery?  There are companies
that specialize in this.  DISP=(NEW,DELETE,CATLG)?  Oops; the
step didn't ABEND; merely terminated with RC=16.  Ah, well.

I can't imagine such a large sort proceeding without scratch
volumes.  //SORTWK1  DD DSN=*.SORTIN?

AOL used to keep me supplied with floppy disks.

-- gil