On 26 March 2014 12:20, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
> Right. Good input. Thanks. I have shipped software with a hard-coded
> expiration date. What I am looking for is a "floating" expiration date that
> would be 30 days after installation, whether installed today or a year from
> today.

It depends to a great extent on the nature of the product. If it
contains/provides its own database of some sort, then there's no need
for a magic hidden file; it can just store  the key info and install
date in some obscure corner of the database. Likewise, if the program
is APF authorized by its nature, there are plenty of legitimate places
it can store the info - most obviously in the security system, and as
dataset or file metadata.

But it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I imagine it's
a matter of convenience for you and prospective customers. But if you
are seriously worried about unauthorized use (say, beyond the time of
a trial), then there are all sorts of other considerations that have
been discussed at some length here in the past. These days even the
act of hiding key and data info somewhere may provide you (in the US,
at least) with a DMCA stick to threaten your customers with should
they attempt to figure out where and how you've hidden things. But I'm
sure you wouldn't want to even think of that.

Tony H.