Before I get some remarks on this:

I just realized that "NULL returning 0xFF000000" was designed when we
still had 24 bit addressing, so there must have been other reasons
for this design decision.

Am 28.03.2014 14:39, schrieb Bernd Oppolzer:
The unsigned int in my case is large enough to take the address value
(32 bits vs 31 bits), so there should be no problem with that. The main
problem comes from the fact that PL/1 decided long ago in history that
the BUILTIN function NULL which is a pointer that points nowhere
is implemented as 0xFF000000 instead of 0x00000000 ... which
makes some sense, because access to 0xFF000000 (which is
in fact 0x7F000000) will probably abend 0C4 on read, when
access to 0x00000000 doesn't.