On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 20:27:18 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>I looked at the RedHat Fedora "initramfs"
>which is the "boot image" used by the GRUB boot loader to start up my
>Linux/Intel system at home.

No it isn't.
It is designed to be used to ensure the root filesystem is mountable by the
kernel. Sometimes it gets used for all sorts of other, unrelated actions.
Totally unnecessary for a properly configured kernel - which we all hope we
have in z/OS.
Whether new functionality {c,w,sh}ould be incorporated into NIP is a different
issue altogether.

Shane ...