On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 11:06:22 -0500, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>Tom Marchant wrote:
>
>>>... most installations (including us) use program protection to restrict
>>>users of these utilities.
>
>>Protecting AMASPZAP and ADRDSSU is, in my opinion, not a good way to protect
>>data from them.
>
>Agreed. Protect the resource (data), not the method (program).
>Of course, protect your datasets + catalogs.

I generally agree.  However, any APF-authorized program has a risk of bugs.
Consider the horrible thing that was done to SMP/E a few years ago because
of a newly recognized security flaw.

Is there any way to limit authorized invocation of a utility to selected users
and allow all others to invoke it unauthorized?  Of course a copy could be
installed in a non-authorized library.

(Several years ago, I discovered that SMP/E worked pretty well unauthorized
as long as I avoided functions that invoke IEBCOPY (I know), ahd used NOWAIT
on all my DDDEFs.  Don't know about AMASPZAP; skeptical about ADRDSSU.
But I disagree strongly with those who will probably argue here that only
storage administrators have justifiable use for ADRDSSU.  Elitism.)

-- gil