From:   DASDBILL2 <dasdbi...@comcast.net>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Date:   18/04/2014 20:26
Subject:        Re: SORT ando MEMLIMIT best practice
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

To the best of my knowledge, the answer to all your questions except the
last one is "No."  There are separate limits for above and below the bar
storage at the address space level, but I don't know about the total
system-wide use.

And my answer to your last question is "Yes."

With the possible exception of IBM's fairly recently added feature in
which you can request virtual storage that is backed by real storage at
the megabyte level instead of at the 4K byte level.  This was designed to
reduce paging within storage obtained above the bar.

What I was really trying to imply was a rule of thumb by which we should
not condemn anything before we have tried and measured it and can prove it
better or worse than what we had before.

Bill Fairchild