From:   Mark Zelden <m...@mzelden.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Date:   21/04/2014 19:19
Subject:        Re: SORT ando MEMLIMIT best practice
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:44:01 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:01:50 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:07:29 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>>
>>>Are there separate pools of real storage for above the bar and below
the bar?

>>Pools? No. Pools are a software concept.
>>
>>Real storage with real addresses < 2 GiB are below the bar.
>>Real storage with real addresses > 2 GiB are above the bar.
>>
>ITYM ">= 2 GiB"
>
>But what do you call real storage with a real address = 3 GiB or
>thereabouts?  I understand that for historic reasons, pertaining
>only to z/OS, not other OSes, 2 GiB <= virtual address < 4GiB
>is prohibited, and GETMAIN (STORAGE?) for even 64-bit
>addressable storage will not return storage in that area.  But
>why?  What harm would befall if it did?

Search the archives.  That hasn't been true for quite some time now.
64-bit Java
used it first, but it isn't restricted to Java.  I don't know if anything
else is
using it at this point.

The harm / fear was misinterpreting 31-bit addresses as 64-bit addresses
in 64-bit
programs processing 32-bit address words that had the high order bit set
on either
unintentionally (leftover garbage) or intentionally for something
meaningful.

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:m...@mzelden.com