On Thu, 8 May 2014 13:10:31 +0000, Kees wrote:

> z/OS will always do what you tell it to do b.m.o. your goal definitions.
> This is quite different from other platforms, that already start doing
> problematic above 30%.

About a decade ago an attempt was made (by IBM folks from India I believe) to
add goal based resource management to the Linux kernel. I was on the
development mail-list till it got subsumed by (older) stronger self-interest
groups.
Some of that works has been shoe-horned into cgroups but the concept of
containers as an over-arching framework comes from an entirely different
mindset.

Shane ...