ok ..I don't think its SVN.

From: john.archie.mck...@gmail.com
Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎May‎ ‎9‎, ‎2014 ‎10‎:‎37‎ ‎AM
To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Bob Shannon <bshan...@rocketsoftware.com>wrote:

> > For smaller ISVs, I wonder if it would be helpful to integrate something
> like "git" or "subversion" into their processing, with a secure (are there
> any?) "off site" backup master.
>
> Why do you think this is an original idea? All ISVs  deal with source code
> management.  Some use open source solutions; some use RYO methods. Most, if
> not all, escrow the source on release boundaries.  Our CVS repositories are
> replicated to three different locations daily. I'm sure we're not unique.

I didn't mean for it to come across as being an original thought (there is
nothing new under the Sun). It was just to toss out an idea which I hadn't
seen discussed on this thread before. Kind of along with the idea of the
software escrow and how some said that the software in escrow becomes out
of date, sometimes quite quickly. So perhaps a "software escrow" company
could be the host for the off site repository & backup system. This should
keep the software in the escrow account up to date. And, with an SCM, make
it possible for a company or client (if the vendor goes out of business) to
get a specific level of the software. This would be much easier if the
build process included the SCM "level" (git commit or "whatever" for other
SCMs - I think subversion has some "special indicator" which is replaced on
checkout by the "level") was used to generate the executable. It would also
be helpful if the build process itself created some sort of "object" (don't
know what) which detailed how the build was actually done (make file,
scripts, JCL, other). And this may be what your company, and others, are
already doing. I'm am not all that knowledgeable about such, unless they
are brought up here.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown