The usual term for this is "source code escrow." A third party holds the
code with a contract that says that if the vendor goes out of business or
fails in some way then you get the source code. The third party charges, and
so the vendor may charge you.

There are two or three HUGE problems with source code escrow:

1. Thing about your own programs. You hire a guy or gal. You sit him or her
down with all of the documentation and relevant tools and help from your
experienced people. How long before he or she is productive? Three months?
Now, suppose this vendor product blows up and it turns out the vendor is out
of business. You are going to go to court, get the software from the escrow
agent, get the necessary platforms and tools -- and fix the bug, all quickly
enough to make a difference to your business?

2. Unless you have an elaborate verification process, what if you get the
source code and discover that through malice or oversight, the source code
is five versions back out of date and missing three critical include files?

3. A contract that says "we will do X in the future" -- in this case, give
you access to our source code -- is what is called an "executory contract."
Bankruptcy courts are very reluctant to enforce executory contracts because
the whole point of bankruptcy is tear up whatever came before and give the
debtor a fresh start.

Charles