Hmmm. There's not enough information here to give a definitive solution, but I will comment a little bit on some of what I am able to glean.

The advice is to issue a 'SET ZAP SPROT' command but that makes no difference.

The fact that SET ZAP SPROT does not resolve your issue indicates that your program is not running with APF authorization, i.e. JSCBAUTH=0. "SET ZAP SPROT" is effective only when JSCBAUTH=1.

Your program is running in problem state and has no authority to acquire supervisor state, so z/XDC does not have that authority either.

I noticed the "//xxxRENT8 DD DUMMY " trick but that has no effect on an STC.

I assumed you substituted "XDC" for "xxx".

You might also try adding //XDCREFR8 DD DUMMY to your target program's JCL in case the program you're trying to breakpoint is refreshable instead of reusable.

but that has no effect on an STC

This is a puzzling comment, since z/XDC's honoring the //XDCREFR8 and //XDCRENT8 ddnames is not in any way contingent upon the type or program being debugged. There must be missing information here.

An XDC hook seemed the obvious way to go because the first thing it does is cancel a lot of the LE SPIE traps. I have tried this two ways, dynamically and assembling in the #XDCHOOK macro, but the result is the same. The hook is executed and the WTOR is displayed and I can connect to the ASID via XDCCDF.

You're right, a hook would be the best way to go... So let's try to solve that.

When you say "the WTOR is displayed", do you mean the DBC640Q wtor?

When you say you "cannot connect". What are the symptoms? One thing that occurs to me is that you might not have the RACF authority to connect. But of course, that's just a guess...

Well rather than continue with what are just guesses here, why don't you instead just contact us and we'll resolve this quickly.

Frank Chu is our tech support guy, and he's truly one of the great ones. He can be reached at...
    fr...@colesoft.com
    540-456-6164

I hope this helps.
Dave