ba...@mxg.com (Barry Merrill) writes:
> Listening to a past NCIS, we think it may have been Season 9 Episode 13:
>
> "How did you get that voice message he had deleted from his Cell Phone?"
>
> "I used the service provider's MAINFRAME".

except possibly non-mainframe backend server.

2nd part of the 90s, with the rise of the internet ... the financial
industry was increasingly afraid that the telco industry would take-over
the payment industry (payment fees represented 40-60% bottom line for US
institutions). The issue was that the prospect of micropayments were
projected to increase the transaction volume where it would totally
swamp the industry mainframe backends ... and the only operations with
scale that could possibly handle such volumes were the telco industry
non-mainframe backends (developed for handling cellphone callrecord
volumes). Fortunately for the industry, the internet micropayments never
took off ... and they started putting legislative barriers in place.

Note that the rhetoric on the floor of congress was that the primary
purpose of GLBA (financial modernization act) was to keep new
competition out of banking (in part by restricting new banking charters;
congressional rhetoric specifically named a number of other institutions
including walmart and microsoft). GLBA is now better known for also
repealing Glass-Steagall ... which played a role in the economic mess of
the last decade.