Initially posted on RACF-L (more by mistake tang by intention). Reposting here
with emphasis on the TSO mechanisms I'd like to get some deeper insight.

We're in the process of cleaning up our technical userids. There is a job
running a REXX under IKJEFT01 that is issuing MVS commands via TSO CONSOLE. The
job is run under a new 8-character technical userid. The job fails with the
following messages in //SYSTSPRT:

  IKJ56644I NO VALID TSO USERID, DEFAULT USER ATTRIBUTES USED
  IKJ55353I THE CONSPROF COMMAND HAS TERMINATED.+
  IKJ55353I USER DOES NOT HAVE CONSOLE COMMAND AUTHORITY.
  IKJ55305I THE CONSOLE COMMAND HAS TERMINATED.+

The new userid did have neither a TSO nor a OPERPARM segment. It does have READ
to OPERCMDS/MVS.MCSOPER.** and TSOAUTH/CONSOLE profiles.
I tried adding a TSO segment first, then an OPERPARM segment. Neither helped.

>From what I have read in the FM and in the archives of this forum, I tend to
>conclude that there is no way to authorize an 8 character userid to use the
>TSO CONSOLE command, is there? To use "CONSOLE", the job needs access to
>TSOAUTH/CONSOLE, but this requires the userid has got a TSO segment. While 8
>character userid may have a TSO segment in RACF, it is useless, since TSO does
>not even care to look for userids longer than 7 chars. This it what
>msgIKJ56644I indicates. Is this correct understanding?

It definitely *is* possible to run TSO and ISPF in batch under an 8 char
userid. Apart from "try & error", How would I find which commands do *not* work
in such an environment?

Why not just change to using a 7 char userid? Well, while this would be the
easy path, our organisational structures make it a stony path. But, as said
above, my main goal is to get a deeper understanding of how TSO works.

Additional Q: Does anyone know where the "default attributes" mentioned in
msgIKJ56644I are documented?