> Does the RD&T license allow you to get updated ADCD images when they become
> available?  E.G., when an ADCD version is made available for z/OS 2.1, can
> you load it on your RD&T system?

Yes, you can. Having gone through that two times (migration 1.10 -> 1.13 and
then moving 'the system' from running under VM at z/OS 1.13 to the RDT
hardware), it's a pain: You essentially loose everything that you have
customized in your previous system. Especially, if you're not sysprog enough to
know that one never ever customizes anything in an SMPE maintained library.
(Ask me how I know, especially the first time around). You come up with a new
master catalog and a new RACF data base when you come up with a new ADCD
system. There is no SMS environment to speak of on an ADCD system (just enough
to get a logstream up for DB2). There is no HSM at all. If you have set up
TCPIP any differently, you loose that as well.

When I took over, I started out cleaning up catalogs - put everything
not-system into a user catalog. Then I cleaned out RACF and essentially
redefined everything from the ground up, deleting quite a bit and adding even
more to have full coverage. And making sure that a group concept is followed.
Did I mention that on an ADCD system none of the SMPE maintained libraries have
data set profiles? I am almost at the point now where I can turn on PROTECTALL.

I have also established an SMS environment (probably not a very good one, but
it works) and set up HSM to at least migrate to level1 (there are no tapes
configured on an ADCD system, although you could probably set some up) and to
clean out all the temporary data sets.
I have completely restructured JES2, after barely avoiding JES cold starts when
(the minimal) spool ran full, so now we have a much larger spool on different
volumes. Which required  me to enlarge the checkpoint data sets substantially
(we had run out of JOES at about 1300 jobs held and running in the system).

I had started Health Checker on that ADCD system. It showed a lot of RC=12
exceptions.

> Can't the ADCD system be adjusted to use larger than MOD3 disks, just as one
> would do in a real system?  I do realize that's a lot of work requiring a lot
> of system programmer-level changes, but I would think well worth the effort.

I hope to have that work finished tomorrow, incidentally. I have recopied
everything to mod9, cleaned up a very messy SMPE environment (I deleted about
800 target entries and 600 DLIB entries that haven't been in use for god knows
how long, corrected quite a few references, added missing ones and so on...)
Tomorrow I plan on IPLing from data sets at exactly the same software level,
but copied from the new target libraries (did I mention that the SMPE that
comes with ADCD would install into the live data sets?). If all goes well, then
I'll also come up with a new master catalog that has the system indirectly
catalogued so it will be a lot easier to IPL new maintenance or a new operating
system. (Thanks to Mark Zelden for his onepack system - it helped a lot to see
the actual steps needed to come up with a new master cat, especially when
dealing with VSAM ZFSs.) All products that come with z/OS will then be in the
master cat and not spread out haphazardly over some products catalog and the
master cat.

Barbara