On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:

> > Not entirely clear to me how the COBOL brain drain is addressed by
> > recompiling and re-hosting Cobol on distributed computing platforms.
>
> It's magic, I guess.  Suddenly someone other than a long-time COBOL
> developer will be able to maintain it.

The eclipse based editor magically allows the distributed coder to
visualize COBOL and HLASM as Java and .NET.  Additionally when the same
coder enters updates in Java and .NET the same editor magically does an
error free translation to COBOL and HLASM.

The editor supports OS COBOL through Enterprise COBOL 5.x as well as all
known and unknown versions of HLASM and is predecessors.

The differences between VSE and z/OS are similarly handled.

The debugger has similar capabilities.

We can thank DARPA and other government agency for funding the development
work required to get the editor and debugger working.

Now if I can just get my DWIM macro working.

;-)

Sam