On 24 Sep 2014 18:27:34 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>AFP:  I'm thinking we're safe chosing NOVOLATILE.  We don't even use
>floating-point, so perhaps it doesn't even matter what option we choose.
>
>DISPSIGN:  I can't think of any harm in specifying SEP.  Certainly makes
>displays of negative signed fields easier to read.

Since I think this would affect existing record descriptions, I would
test before making a decision.  If your current display numeric fields
(PIC S999 USAGE DISPLAY) do not have the SIGN IS SEPARATE clause this
option may force it on recompile which would increase the size of the
field by 1 byte.  I'm not certain what the valid sign characters would
be.

Clark Morris