There are at least a bazillion (Google tells me) quotes about mistakes.

"So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because that's where you will find success. On the far side of failure." Thomas J. Watson, Sr.

"It is much easier to be critical than to be correct." Benjamin Disraeli

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." Albert Einstein

Anyone who's ever accomplished anything -- done anything -- has made mistakes. What have your mainframe career mistakes, teachable/learnable moments, painful learning experiences, hard-knocks lessons, etc., been? What errors have you seen or heard (and believed!) others make? What were the consequences and, most important, what did you learn?

These might be technical or job/career related. What would you go back and tell your younger self to do or not do? To do differently? What mistakes would you help others avoid?

Please be (relatively) brief; if I need more information, I'll ask. And please copy me directly so replies aren't buried in list digests.

Thanks...

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433