<snip>
After 4 days of non-usage, the dsn *will* migrate to ML1. After 7 more days of
non-usage, it will migrate to ML2. After 540 days, it will expire.
</snip>

Minor correction:

After 4 days of non-usage, the dsn *will* migrate to ML1.
After 7  days of non-usage, it will migrate to ML2.  If not already migrated to
ML1, it will migrate directly to ML2.
After 540 days, it will expire.

HTH,

<snip>
After 4 days of non-usage, the dsn *will* migrate to ML1. After 7 more days of
non-usage, it will migrate to ML2. After 540 days, it will expire.

If the dataset has not migrated, numerous possible conditions exist:

1) it was referenced and therefore not eligible for migration because of usage.
2) it has not been backed up and is not eligible for migration
3) the volume is not eligible for migration and/or backup
4) something else is afoot that we are not aware of (premature ending of space
management windows, etc.)

Bob
....snipage
I have a question about the expiration of a dsn by HSM.  The rule says the
following :

 Expiration Attributes

   Expire after Days Non-usage  . : 540
   Expire after Date/Days . . . . : NOLIMIT
   Retention Limit  . . . . . . . : 0

However the Migration attributes are as follows:

Migration Attributes
  Primary Days Non-usage  . : 4
  Level 1 Days Date/Days  . : 7
  Command or Auto Migrate . : BOTH

My question is will HSM delete the dsn if it is NOT migrated?  I think that the
DSN needs to be migrated in order for HSM to delte the dsn.  Could anybody
confirm my comprehension or mis-comprehension should it be the case?
</snip>