On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 00:20:49 -0600, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>Ed Gould wrote:
>
>>That is nice but how do you handle a vendor that issues say a S001 ?
>>I say throw their software out with the dirty dishwater.
>
>Agreed. The same [1]  goes with SMF record types, SVC ##, messsage prefixes,
>SSI prefixes, program module name prefixes, dataset HLQ, etc.
>
>If I find a vendor which says ICH??? or use module name easily confused with
>something else, I will have to remove them.

SyncSort?  ACF2?

If I pass an in valid address to an ISV-supplied program, should that
program:

o ABEND with S0C4?

o Attempt to validate the address before accessing the storage?
  How should it report failure?

o Trap the addressing exception and convert to a vendor-defined
  Unnn ABEND?

IBM maintains a registry of component prefixes (the name space is
uncomfortably small).  Is something similar done for data set HLQ?

There's a narrowly observed convention of letting ICANN maintain
the registry.  For example:

find /usr/lpp -name com[._]\*
/usr/lpp/perl/lib/5.8.7/unicore/lib/dt/com.pl
/usr/lpp/booksrv/cgi-bin/com.ibm.bkmgr.jar
/usr/lpp/booksrv/cgi-bin/com.ibm.bkmgr.CgiJavaBridge.jar
/usr/lpp/booksrv/cgi-bin/com.ibm.bkmgr.CgiJavaBridgePages.jar
/usr/lpp/booksrv/cgi-bin/com_ibm_bkmgr_CgiJavaBridge_Server.dll

-- gil