Thanks to all with help on this topic.

Cheryl.  Thanks very much.  I was hoping to find a formula to determine the
number of slots, but I think MXG can help with that.

I also was trying to determine if I can swap out 20 Mod3s for 2 Mod27s and
not have to create little datasets on the Mod54.

I have a sandbox and I will be attempting to arrange some validations of my
assumptions.

Lizette

Contiguous
> slots are used even if block paging is not in play.
>
> To answer the second part of his question, yes, the recommendation is
still 30%,
> although it could be more or less. It's relatively easy to calculate the
best value for
> your installation. Here is an excellent paper on how to do the
calculation: Techdoc
> TD104728 (z/OS Availability: Managing SVC Dumps to Mitigate Exhausting the
> Paging Subsystem).
>
> It all has to do with SVC dumps. SRM will identify a storage shortage if
you use
> more than 70% of the page data sets. While taking an SVC dump, you don't
want to
> take more than 70% of the page slots. Therefore, IBM recommends that you
keep
> the total auxiliary dump space and paging space to less than 60% of the
slots. It
> really depends on how much storage you have, how big your SVC dumps are,
and
> how many concurrent dumps you are likely to experience.
>
> We asked Kathy Walsh, Distinguished Engineer at IBM's Washington Systems
> Center, whether the availability of Storage Class Memory (SCM) has any
effect on
> this recommendation. Her reply:
>
> If you have SCM on the LPAR then assuming its service time is faster it
will get
> most of the pages, except for VIO which is not written to SCM. So as far
as I am
> concerned the recommendation has not changed. For locals we still don't
want them
> more than 30% used. Of course with SCM it will be hard to get to 30%
unless there
> is a lot of VIO activity. With SCM there has been no change in the Aux
DASD IO
> support hence nothing has changed which would merit a change in
> recommendation.
>
> And while we're mentioning SCM, we want to remind you of our article in
Tuning
> Letter 2013 No 3 (IEASYSxx Update):
>
> [The IEASYSxx keyword] PAGESCM indicates whether and how much storage-
> class memory (SCM - also known as FlashExpress or zFlash) to allow for
paging
> data sets. We described zFlash, which is a priced (about $125K per 1.4 TB
in the
> U.S.) hardware feature on a zEC12, in our Tuning Letter 2013 No. 1, pages
4-7. Our
> recommendation for zFlash was:
>
> RECOMMENDATION: If SVC dumps are hurting performance, if the start of day
> brings serious performance problems, or if you want to provide performance
> enhancements in Java, DB2, or IMS, you should consider Flash Express for
your
> zEC12. It has great potential, and I haven't heard of any downsides.
>
> Best regards,
> Cheryl
>
> ======================
> Cheryl Watson
> Watson & Walker, Inc.
> www.watsonwalker.com
> cell & text: 941-266-6609
>

> On Nov 19, 2014, at 10:41 AM, Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

> I have been reviewing various documents on how to size the Page Data Sets.
>
> I was wondering if there are any guidelines on what can be used today.
This should